STARTUP CHALLENGE: MARINE MAMMALS
Offshore Wind Challenge: protecting marine mammals using real-time data
An Iberdrola affiliate company, Vineyard Wind, has launched a new Startup Challenge calling for technology with the ability to minimise the impact that offshore wind farms may have on local marine mammals. The winner will take part in a startup accelerator program run by Greentown Labs.
Carousel of images and videos
The Vineyard Wind enterprise — 50 % owned by the Iberdrola group through its US subsidiary Avangrid — has teamed up with Greentown Labs to seek out start-ups developing innovative marine mammal monitoring techniques: tracking, data gathering, real-time data transmission and analysis. The aim is to better preserve the wildlife surrounding the Vineyard Wind offshore wind farm, an 800 MW facility to be developed by Iberdrola off the coast of Massachusetts.
This aim is what drove the collaboration to launch the Offshore Wind Challenge, a six-month accelerator program which involves boosting innovative solutions that enable the sustainable development of offshore wind power. Submit your completed application through the online portal by May 31, 2020.
WHAT ARE THE INITIATIVE'S GOALS?
The challenge is aimed to enhance real-time detection of marine mammals in one of the world's most challenging, remote environments: the ocean.
The goals of the initiative are:
- Increase safety, reduce environmental impacts, increase protections to sensitive habitats, and create work stream efficiencies.
- To boost line efficiency with new technology enabling compliance with environmental standards within shorter deadlines.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
Startups that are developing innovative technology to enhance real-time data collection and analysis. All projects submitted must meet the following requirements:
- The data collected must provide accurate and reliable information on marine mammal monitoring.
- The procedure has to be efficient, safe and environmentally friendly.
- Their technology must conform to existing best practice in data management and to public policies.
The Offshore Wind Challenge will be a chance for the start-ups selected to take part in a six-month accelerator program run by Greentown Labs, the largest clean technology incubator in North America. This includes:
Exclusive access to the networks managed by Greentown Labs and Vineyard Wind, plus the chance to connect with a variety of organisations and offshore energy suppliers.
The benefits of being tutored by the world's top engineers, scientists and specialists in offshore wind power permits
Taking part in training and programming workshops through partnerships with Greentown Launch.
Exploring potential collaborations with Vineyard Wind.
Becoming members of Greentown Labs throughout the entire program, with office space to work in.
- Be available for Skype interviews and in-person interviews after the close of the Round 1 application deadline, if selected for further rounds.
- Disclose the status of any intellectual property (IP) relevant to your submission. Do not submit confidential information in the application process.
- Should you be selected as an awardee, your IP will be fully protected throughout the process.
- The more defined your problem and solution, the better!