Supporting the Liga Iberdrola and the National Team
Iberdrola has been sponsoring the Spain's Senior National Women's Football Team since 2016 and sponsors the Women's First Division, which is to be from now on called the Liga Iberdrola. Furthermore, in 2018 the company has taken over as the main sponsor of the Copa S.M. La Reina and of Spain's Under 19s and Under 17s National Teams.
Iberdrola and the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) have renewed their commitment to strengthen women's football with the signing of a new collaboration agreement. The objective of this agreement, which is set to run for a further three years, is that of intensifying the company's support of both the Federation and of the different competitions it organises.
Iberdrola has been the official sponsor of Spain's Senior Women's Football Team since 2016. With the renewal of the agreement for the 2019-2021 period, the company is maintaining its sponsorship of the national squad and of the First Division of Women's Football, which will from now on be known as the Liga Iberdrola. Furthermore, the company is now the principal sponsor of the Copa S.M. La Reina and of Spain's Under 19s and Under 17s National Teams.
The 2017/2018 season of the Liga Iberdrola led to considerable fame for women's football: 65 matches were televised live, of which 32 had over 100,000 viewers. The matches were held in seven men's first division stadiums. The Atlético Madrid women's team drew a record number of spectators, with over 22,000 people attending the match with Madrid CFF at the Wanda Metropolitano on 17 March.
Also, since 2011, the number of licences awarded by the Royal Spanish Football Federation has almost doubled to 42,000.
As part of this initiative, and, in parallel, Iberdrola is also organising various social action and awareness-raising activities, such as:
- Women's Football Festivals in different cities around Spain to encourage participation and showcase this competition.
- Educational campaigns at schools to raise awareness through football as to the importance of equality in society as well as promoting sporting values and a healthy lifestyle.
- A national contest for schools in which participants have to develop a project related to Women's Football.
WOMEN'S NATIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM
The Spain's Senior National Women's Football has qualified for the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup, which will take place in France. The team of Jorge Vilda has won all the matchs of the qualifying phase, being the first of his group.
GO FOR THE GOLD!
- Iberdrola and the RFEF renew their commitment to promoting women's football
- Ignacio Galán visits members of Senior National Women's Football Team after brilliant performance qualifying for 2017 UEFA EURO tournament in Holland
- Iberdrola becomes the official sponsor of the Women's First Division Football League