|Promotion of R&D
- Iberdrola continues to wager on innovation as one of its main pillars for successfully facing the future energy scenario, promoting energy efficiency, decarbonisation and the electrification of the economy.
- Ignacio Galán, the chairman & CEO of the Iberdrola group, has received the National Innovation and Design Award in the Innovative Career Category from the Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities.
- €280 million of R&D investment in 2019, a 5% increase over 2018.
- Expansion of Iberdrola’s Universities Programme, Iberdrola U, with the inclusion of Yale University in the United States, Pernambuco University in Brazil and Hamad bin Khalifa University in Qatar.
- Wager on internal talent through the launch of INVENTA, the global platform for the management of innovative campaigns and ideas.
- Launch of two start-up challenges, where companies throughout the world submit potential solutions to specific problems of the energy industry.
- Expansion of the Innovation Programme with Proveedores Iberdrola Bizkaia (Iberdrola Biscay Suppliers), to finance innovative projects of Biscayan suppliers allowing for the development of products and services in the energy industry.
|Efficiency and new products and services
- New developments driving flexibility, operational efficiency and the safety of facilities, as well as a reduction in our environmental impact through the implementation of disruptive technologies and the reduction of emissions.
- Design of new products that guarantee an efficient, agile and high-quality service and ensure an improvement in the experience of its more than 16 million customers.
- Development of domestic and international R&D projects to promote sustainable development, renewable energy and emerging technologies.
- There has been a launch of the Asistente Smart Iberdrola allowing customers to disaggregate the electricity consumption of their home appliances.
- Customers with electric vehicles can manage their home recharging point using the Smart Mobility Hogar app. It will also be possible to locate and reserve recharging points on the web using the Iberdrola Public Charge App.
- Using the Smart Solar App, each customer will be able to monitor generation, self-consumption and injection into the grid from their solar panels.
|Disruptive technology and business models
Through the Iberdrola-PERSEO international start-up programme, investments are made in technologies and new disruptive businesses models, which ensure the sustainability of the energy model. Since its creation, more than €65 million have been invested through the programme worldwide.
Lines of activity:
- Technologies favouring the integration of renewable energies.
- Aggregation and management of distributed energy resources (batteries, solar, etc.).
- Innovative solutions for customers (demand-side management, digital solutions, etc.).
- Advanced technologies for operation and maintenance of energy assets.
- Electromobility: charging infrastructures and new solutions.
- Energy efficiency, including efficient thermal solutions.
- Iberdrola has been recognised by the European Commission within the framework of the Start-up Europe Partnership initiative, which has named Iberdrola for the third consecutive year as one of the top 12 European companies that work best with start-ups, and also giving it the special “Start-up Procurement Award".
- There were more than 15 pilot projects with start-ups in technological areas like Artificial Intelligence, Big Data, Internet of things (IOT) and blockchain in 2019.
- Investment in the company Wallbox, dedicated to the development of electric mobility solutions, and in Balantia, which develops solutions for improvement in the area of energy efficiency. These investments are an important contribution to Iberdrola’s wager on the areas of electric mobility and energy efficiency.