|Promotion of R&D
- Iberdrola is now the utility of the future thanks to an innovative strategy based on a strong commitment to clean energy, smart grids, efficient energy storage, the development of custom-tailored solutions for customers, and digital transformation.
- €267 million of R&D investment in 2018, an 8% increase over 2017.
- Consolidation of the Iberdrola Universities Programme (Iberdrola U).
- Commitment to internal talent through the Renewables Accelerator Programme, Networks 2.0 and Accelerator for Customer initiatives.
- Holding of Innoday, the major date of the energy sector with innovation.
- Inauguration in Qatar of the Iberdrola Innovation Middle East, a technology centre focused on responding to the challenges of the digitisation of the energy system.
- Publication of the Innovation Report 2016-2018.
- Development of R&D Plan 2018-2022. .
- Iberdrola will invest 34,000 million euros between 2018 and 2022, focusing its innovative activity on:
- Cleaner and smarter generation.
- More and smarter storage.
- More and smarter grids.
- More and smarter customer solutions.
|Efficiency and new products and services
- Continuous optimisation of our operations, management of the life cycle of facilities and equipment, reduction in operating and maintenance costs, and decreasing environmental impact.
- Development of new and competitive products and services that adapt to an increasingly global and digitised market, the main goal of which is to meet the needs of customers.
- Increase in customer engagement, providing a simple, modern and intuitive customer experience during their entire life cycle.
- Launching innovative campaigns and projects towards increased personalisation of content and offers based on consumption.
- Delivery of proactive communications in real time and use of online self-service, with quick and simple online contracting.
- New social media channels at the international level, offering rapid and efficient customer service.
- As a result of its commitment to innovation, digitisation and the on-going search for excellence and quality, Iberdrola has designed unique products and services for its more than 16 million customers.
- In the future, Iberdrola will continue to wager on energy management of the home through smart devices that give customers greater knowledge and management of consumption, as well as products relating to electric vehicle charging.
|Disruptive technology and business models
Through the Iberdrola-PERSEO international start-up programme, funded with €70 million, investments are made in technologies and new disruptive businesses models, which ensure the sustainability of the energy model. Lines of activity:
- Technologies favouring the integration of renewable energies: flexibility and storage.
- Aggregation and management of distributed energy resources (batteries, solar, etc.).
- Innovative solutions for customers (demand-side management, digital solutions, etc.).
- Advanced technologies for operation and maintenance of energy assets.
- Electromobility: charging infrastructures and new solutions.
- Iberdrola has been included for the second consecutive year among the top 12 European companies committed to the open innovation promoted by the Europe Partnership of the European Commission. Specifically, it has been selected by the European start-ups as one of the Corporate Startup Stars for 2018 and has also received, for the second time, the Corporate Startup Procurement award.
- More than 10 pilot projects with start-ups in technological areas like Artificial Intelligence, Big Data, Internet of things (IOT) and blockchain.
- Participation in the company Atten2, dedicated to developing solutions for online monitoring of critical assets to improve the operation and maintenance thereof. This investment is a major contribution to the digitisation of assets in order to prolong the useful life thereof through predictive maintenance and improved operation thereof.
- Ensure Iberdrola's access to the energy technologies of the future.
- Foster entrepreneurship and the development of an innovative entrepreneurial fabric within the energy sector. Investment in initiatives with a high social and job creation component.
- Establish alliances with key technology providers for Iberdrola (Open Innovation Ventures).