- Marine energy
- Obtained from waves and tides. At present, different devices are being developed that are capable of converting this energy into electricity and transporting it to land. The prospects are very promising: experts estimate that the quantity of energy obtained by just 30 typical mechanisms would be capable of supplying some 20,000 homes with the average European consumption. IBERDROLA, through IBERDROLA RENOVABLES, is a pioneer in the development of projects using marine energy. It has a pilot wind energy plant at Santoña (Cantabria) and its subsidiary in the United Kingdom is developing another off the Orkney Islands (Scotland). It is also studying three sites where tidal wave projects could be developed off the coasts of Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Spanish: Energía marina
- Market abuse
- Set of practices relating to the improper use of inside information or the manipulation of the listing price of a financial instrument, which are prohibited by commercial law and may constitute a crime.
Spanish: Abuso de mercado
- Merger of companies
- Business combination carried out through the dissolution of one or more companies that contribute their assets to another pre-existing or newly created company, with the shareholders of the predecessor companies becoming shareholders of the new one.
Spanish: Fusión de sociedades
- Methane (CH4)
- Methane is a hydrocarbon (a chemical compound formed by carbon and hydrogen). It is the main component of natural gas and one of the six greenhouse gases taken into consideration in the Kyoto Protocol. As a greenhouse gas, it is estimated to have a warming effect 25 times greater than CO2. As a fuel, it is used to produce electricity, in industrial ovens and in buildings for heating and hot water; it has also started to be used to power vehicles. Methane is produced from biomass during the decomposition of many materials in landfills, while around 16% of methane emissions are caused by cattle during the digestive process.
Spanish: Metano (CH4)
- Autonomous electric and thermal generation grid that makes use of various renewable energies for the self-supply of a home or group of homes, thus being stand-alone compared to traditional systems.
Spanish: Microred eléctrica
- Document containing a written record of the proceedings at meetings of the corporate decision-making bodies and of the resolutions or decisions adopted thereby.
- Halting the accumulation of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere by reducing emissions and placing existing emissions of gases into "sinks". Mitigation directly affects the sources of GHG emission and absorption (affects the causes of climate change).