Initiatives with Comillas Pontifical University
We have launched various initiatives to promote innovation and entrepreneurship in energy-related projects
Iberdrola, in collaboration with Comillas Pontifical University, offers various initiatives to university students, which encourage entrepreneurship in energy-related projects.
Iberdrola has worked hand in hand with the Comillas Pontifical University in many different R&D projects and now wants to show its support to students by fostering their entrepreneurship skills. The Comillas Emprende initiative tests students' capacity to innovate of students in an atmosphere of information exchange and training. It gives them the chance to present projects related to the energy scenario of the future (Utility of the Future), such as innovation in clean energy, initiatives to reduce consumption, or other innovative ideas.
Likewise, Iberdrola supports other Comillas Pontifical University initiatives, such as the ICAI Speed Club, and collaborates in the organization of specific events related to entrepreneurship, such as the Hackathon StartCamp.
Initiatives with Comillas Pontifical University
This is an initiative that brings together the best young entrepreneurs in Madrid who are competing to turn their ideas into reality. Students put forward ideas for validation — or those which have a potential market — and comparison. To develop their ideas, students receive mentoring throughout the course, which concludes with the presentation of the projects they have been working on.
1. SIXTH COMILLAS EMPRENDE 2018. Students are currently working on their projects External link, opens in new window. divided into two categories:
- Ideando: ideas for approval about energy, social entrepreneurship and apps.
- Despegando: ideas for products or services under development on the IoT, big data, VR, cyber security, etc.
Students present their projects at a final pitch in April 2019.
2. FIFTH COMILLAS EMPRENDE 2017. Iberdrola participated in this initiative External link, opens in new window. with the Comillas Pontifical University, providing students with the necessary tools to develop their entrepreneurial skills in a project that responds to the challenges of the energy sector. The prize for the best innovation project in the field of energy was for Green Grids.
3. FOURTH COMILLAS EMPRENDE 2016. Iberdrola, in its commitment to young talent, participated in Comillas Emprende External link, opens in new window. with the aim of spreading entrepreneurship in the university community by offering them a platform for promoting students' ideas. Under the slogan Uniting energy, Derlink was the winner of the challenge with a project that proposed an active management of energy demand at both industrial and domestic levels.
Iberdrola collaborates with the electric escuderia at Comillas Pontifical University. In this project, more than 70 students have worked on the design, manufacture and assembly of an electric racing car and an electric racing motorbike.The company's President, Ignacio Galán, with the students.
1. ISC FORMULA STUDENT ELECTRIC 2018. The first electric car of Comillas Pontifical University had its competition debut at Formula Student Spain 2018 External link, opens in new window. held from 23 to 26 August at the Montmeló Circuit in Barcelona. The students worked against the clock on the Iberdrola Campus to create this 100% electric racing car from scratch, which they presented at the Innoday 2018.
This project gives them the opportunity to put into practice all the theoretical training received and learn to cope in a real project. It allows them to learn how to work in a team, manage stress and better themselves.
While the students get support from teachers and professionals at Iberdrola, they have full control over the project.
At the 2018 edition, 38 teams from universities all over the world participated, seven of them from Spain.
During the competition, they did not only evaluate through the use of static, dynamic and technical tests, but also with reference to the development of their business model.
ICAI Speed Club students and their electric car participated in the Formula Student Spain. Video voice transcription (Spanish version) [PDF].
2. ISC MOTOSTUDENT ELECTRIC 2018. The next ICAI SPEED CLUB event was the Moto Student Electric Spain 2018 External link, opens in new window. competition at the Motorland circuit in Alcañiz (Teruel). The young contestants presented an electric motorcycle and were evaluated for its conceptual and technical design, acceleration, business case, innovation project and industrial production, among others.
ICAI Speed Club students presented their electric motorcycle in the MotoStudent Electric Spain 2018. Video voice transcription (Spanish version) [PDF].
Iberdrola collaborates in Startcamp Powered by Iberdrola External link, opens in new window., a 48-hour hackathon carried out in collaboration with the StartComillas entrepreneurs association in which students work on their idea with the help of mentors from the sector.
2019 Startcamp. Video voice transcription (Spanish version) [PDF].
The 5, 6 and 7 April 2019 marked the holding of the third edition of this gathering, in which 75 entrepreneurs from the Universidad Pontificia Comillas took part — divided into 16 teams — to develop projects in connection with the Sustainable Development Goals in which Iberdrola is directly involved. Specifically, 3 workshops were held and over 20 mentors contributed, delivering a total of 150 hours of advice on topics such as smart grids, renewable energy, blockchain, brand and innovation.
The winning project was eco-ship, a solution that allows for increased efficiency on merchant shipping through on-board generation of renewable energy.The winners of StartCamp 2019 received the award from José Ángel Marra, Iberdrola's Director of Human Resources and General Services, and Antonio Muñoz San Roque, director of the Higher School of Engineering (Comillas ICAI).
1. STARTCAMP 2018. In the second edition of this initiative, the number of students who were able to enjoy this experience increased. A total of 70 participants were selected who worked on 12 projects, but only one was the winner, ECOMAPP, an app that brings together all electric mobility platforms and rewards the consumer with leisure points for promoting sustainable mobility.
2. STARTCAMP 2017. This initiative was attended by 52 young people and resulted in eight projects related to the challenges of the energy sector. The participants benefited from several presentations, among them Javier Agüera, former student of ICAI, born entrepreneur and one of the 30 under 30 of 2016 External link, opens in new window., who spoke to them, from the vision of Silicon Valley, of the importance of innovation in the future. The winning project of the challenge was SMARTBATT, a battery-sharing concept allowing mobiles to remain constantly connected.