Respect for the environment, a distinguishing value
We are increasingly eco-efficient due to production technologies that cause fewer emissions and reduced consumption of fuels, energy, water and other materials.
Iberdrola is responding to the outlook for the immediate future, which is characterised by a sharp growth in global demand for energy from efficient, clean sources to cut global emissions and combat climate change. The company has stepped up its commitment to sustainability, consolidating itself as one of the most environmentally-friendly European utilities.
OUR CULTURE BASED AROUND RESPECT FOR THE ENVIRONMENT
Environmental protection is one of the company's distinguishing features. It is set out in the Mission, Vision and Values and is managed through four policies:
- Sustainable Management Policy [PDF]
- Environmental Policy [PDF]
- Policy against Climate Change [PDF]
- Biodiversity Policy [PDF]
Iberdrola meets the expectations of its stakeholders as far as environmental protection is concerned through a transparent information policy and constant dialogue, in line with the Sustainable Development Goals recently approved by the United Nations (2015-2030).
ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT MODEL
Also, so that all of the Group's businesses have a common framework for action, we have created a Management model, which allows us to develop the environmental dimension, measure our progress and evaluate whether we have complied with our commitments. As well as the aforementioned policies, our model includes:
- Environmental performance indicators
- Environmental goals and action plans
- Environmental risk management
- Environmental management systems
ACTION AND PREVENTION
We specifically reduce the environmental impact of our operations via various actions targeted at:
- Power generation with fewer emissions,
- Biodiversity programmes,
- Efficiency of operations, which entails sustainable use of natural resources,
- Preventing pollution,
- Correct management of waste generated by activities,
- Rational and sustainable use of water.
CLIMATE CHANGE AND ECONOMY