WIKINGER OFFSHORE WIND FARM
Iberdrola's Wikinger offshore wind farm connected to the grid in Germany
Iberdrola has successfully connected the 350-MW wind farm to the national power grid. The facility will supply renewable energy to approximately 350,000 homes.
Wikinger offshore wind farm: main project data.
The Wikinger offshore wind farm is an Iberdrola flagship project. This project has materialised in a fusion of the company's resolute dedication to renewable energies with technological innovation, internationalisation and a contribution to the economic development with job creation in regions where the group is present. Moreover, through our international expansion, Iberdrola opens the door for its suppliers and service providers to new markets and businesses.
At the end of 2017, the company has successfully connected the 350-MW wind farm to the national power grid. The facility will supply renewable energy to approximately 350,000 homes from the north-east coast of the German island of Rügen.
Wikinger, Iberdrola's first solo offshore project, had a particularly complex construction phase. In its major stages:
- 280 piles were driven into the sea bed to hold the foundations.
- The offshore substation jacket was installed.
- The Andalucía offshore substation was installed and commissioned.
- The underwater cables connecting with Lubmin onshore substation were installed and commissioned in coordination with 50Hertz.
- More than 80 kilometres (50 miles) of underwater array cables were run and commissioned between the turbines of the wind farm.
- The 70 jackets and wind turbines were installed and commissioned.
- The 70 wind turbines were installed and commissioned.
Iberdrola has an operations, control, and maintenance centre in the port of Sassnitz.
With an investment of nearly €1.4 billion, Wikinger will prevent almost 600,000 tonnes of CO2 from being released into the atmosphere each year.
Offshore wind power, a business in which the company is investing heavily, is one of the key drivers of Iberdrola's growth, mainly in the United Kingdom, Germany, and France.
Comparison of the dimensions of a wind turbine with other landmark buildings.
Other projects under construction
Iberdrola, through its subsidiary ScottishPower Renewables, is working on other offshore wind power projects, some of the most important are:
- The East Anglia mega-project, which will be organised in four different areas: ONE (714 MW), ONE NORTH (800 MW), TWO (800 MW) and THREE (1,200 MW).
- The Saint-Brieuc offshore wind farm (496 MW), located in the waters of Saint-Brieuc Bay, will supply clean energy to 850,000 households after it is commissioned.
- Iberdrola's Wikinger offshore wind farm connected to the grid in Germany
- Iberdrola successfully installs all 70 wind turbines at Wikinger offshore wind farm (Germany)
- Iberdrola installs the first wind turbine in the Wikinger offshore wind farm (Germany)
- Iberdrola's Andalusia substation now installed at german Wikinger offshore wind farm
- Navantia, Iberdrola and 50Hertz host the delivery ceremony for the substation "Andalucía" at Puerto Real
- Navantia and Iberdrola hold event to mark delivery of first jackets for Wikinger offshore windfarm