UTILITY OF THE FUTURE
Iberdrola, the utility of the future
The company has made sweeping changes in the last 15 years, clearly staying one step ahead of the energy transition to face the challenges of climate change and the need for a clean, reliable and smart business model.
AN INTERNATIONAL ENERGY LEADER
With a history of over 170 years, today we are an international energy leader: it produces and supplies electricity to more than 100 million people in the countries in which it operates.
As a result of our commitment to the environment and pledge to the decarbonisation of the economy, we stand out as the leading renewable energy company and we have managed to reduce our emissions in Europe by 75% since 2000, reaching levels that are nearly 75% lower than the average for European companies.
The Iberdrola group is present today in the following countries and geographical areas, in which we are the leading energy utility and a benchmark, thanks to our sustainable energy model:
Iberdrola, an international energy leader.
See more information
Iberdrola is today an international energy leader with presence in the following countries and geographical areas:
- In the Eurozone, we are the largest producer of wind energy in Europe and the largest energy company in Spain. We are also present in Portugal, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Romania, Cyprus, etc. After reducing its emissions by 75% in Europe since 2000, on average, the emissions of the Iberdrola group are nearly 75% lower than the average for European companies. The company operates through Iberdrola España, a subholding company, and its parent companies of the Renewables, Electricity distribution and Generation businesses.
- In the United Kingdom, the company is present through ScottishPower, a subholding company, and its parent companies of the Renewables, Networks and Generation businesses. Here, our production is 100% renewable and we have transmission and distribution networks in Scotland, Wales and England.
- In the USA, the company is present through Avangrid, a subholding company listed in the stock exchange — in which Iberdrola, S.A. holds an 81.5% stake — and its parent companies of the Renewables and Networks businesses. Iberdrola is the third largest wind power producer, distributing gas and electricity in the states of New York, Maine, Connecticut and Massachusetts through eight regulated companies.
- In Mexico, the company is present through Iberdrola Mexico, a subholding company, and its parent companies of the Renewables and Generation businesses. Iberdrola is the largest private electricity producer of the Mexican market.
- In Brazil, Iberdrola has managed to be present through Neoenergia, a subholding company — in which Iberdrola, S.A. holds an 52.45% stake —, one of the biggest energy sector groups in the country, active in distribution, generation, transmission and sales.
OUR STRATEGIC PILLARS
The current trends in the energy sector — the decarbonisation of the economy to combat climate change and air pollution, the need for more energy production to cope with increasing demand, the development of streamlined processes to handle growing competition and a new customer-oriented approach with more information and a proactive attitude — have sharpened the focus of our three global businesses: Networks, Renewables and Wholesale and Retail, and all of these are customer-centric.
The Iberdrola group accelerates the creation of value through five strategic pillars: profitable growth, operational excellence, customer focus, capital optimization and, finally, digitisation and innovation.
WE ARE THE UTILITY OF THE FUTURE
The Iberdrola group will invest 34 billion euros during 2018-2022, laying the foundations for sustainable growth over the next decade. The company accelerates the creation of value with five strategic pillars:
- Profitable growth of results.
- Operational excellence.
- The customer as the centrepiece of the strategy.
- Capital optimisation.
- Digitisation and innovation.
Business lines and main flagship projects
Our activities are organised around four global businesses:
- Networks: adapting the network to cater to consumer needs.
- Renewables: wind/solar power, tailored to customer needs.
- Wholesale: making the most of the opportunities of the energy reform.
- Retail: developing solutions adapted to the customer's needs.
Likewise, the company is rolling out different flagship projects, which are authentic milestones for the group because of their importance, scope and commitment to innovation.
Digital transformation and innovation
The Iberdrola group plans to invest some 5 billion euros in digital transformation between 2018 and 2022 and will focus its investment effort on improving the operation and maintenance of its assets by using data analytics and Artificial Intelligence and increasing the availability of its generation plants. Our digital transformation pillars are:
The internet of things | Virtual and Augmented Reality | Artificial Intelligence | Blockchain | Machine Learning | Robotics | Cognitive solutions | Digital analytics | Smart Mobility
Creating value for society
Iberdrola's business plan and business model are aimed at creating sustainable value for the societies in which the company is present. Therefore, the Iberdrola group offers a growing, inclusive and sustainable dividend, which is fully in line with the UN's Sustainable Development Goals.
Our purpose and the values that guide us
Our purpose is to continue building together each day a healthier, more accessible energy model, based on electricity. To achieve this, we are guided by three values: sustainable energy, integrating force and driving force.
Corporate governance | Our team |
A 'glocal' brand
Iberdrola identifies and respects the needs of each country in which it operates. The new experiences of each market have reinforced our culture and brand values:
- In Spain, through Iberdrola.
- In United Kingdom, through ScottishPower.
- In USA, through Avangrid*.
- In Mexico, through Iberdrola México.
- In Brazil, through Neoenergia**.
*Avangrid, Inc. is 81.50% owned by Iberdrola, S.A.
**Neoenergia Inc. is 52.45% owned by Iberdrola, S.A.
Hard work, talent, commitment and enthusiasm have always been the life force driving Iberdrola's history, a group that is now firmly established on both sides of the Atlantic.
With over 170 years of existence, the hallmark of the Group is its steady growth and its forward vision to prepare for society's future energy needs.
- Iberdrola speeds up global growth with investments of €34 billion by 2022
- Iberdrola has set out to close all of its coal-fired power plants around the world