In its mission to lead the energy transition, Iberdrola is spearheading the development of green hydrogen with projects in a number of countries (Spain, the United Kingdom, Brazil, the United States, among others) to meet the demand for electrification and decarbonisation in sectors such as industry and heavy transport. The company has created a new green hydrogen business unit with the aim of becoming the world leader in this technology. The group is addressing the technological challenge of producing and supplying green hydrogen from clean energy sources, powering the electrolytic process with 100 % renewable electricity.
- #DESCARBONISATIONThe Coalition has strengthened its leadership with the appointment of Iberdrola group chairman and CEO as chairman of the alliance.
- #SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORTThis transport line in Italy stretching over 300-km is a strategic connection between inland areas.
- #GREEN INVESTMENTIberdrola and Foresa analyse investments in industrial green methanol production in Galicia.
- #ELECTROLYSERSIberdrola and Cummins are partnering to carry out large-scale hydrogen production projects in Spain and Portugal.
- #DECARBONISATIONIberdrola and six industrial leaders to multiply and accelerate green hydrogen scale and production by fifty within the next six years.
Europe's largest green hydrogen plant for the production of zero emissions fertilisers
The Puertollano (Ciudad Real) plant will consist of a 100 MW photovoltaic solar plant, a lithium-ion battery system with a storage capacity of 20 MWh and one of the largest electrolytic hydrogen production systems in the world (20 MW). All from 100% renewable sources.
A total of 150 million euros has been invested in the project, an initiative that will create up to 700 jobs and avoid emissions of 48.000 tCO2/year.
- #UNITED KINGDOMThe main players in green hydrogen are partnering with the academic sector and members of the supply chain to launch the Hydrogen Skills Partnership.
- #UNITED KINGDOMMore than 7,000 Scottish students are competing to build the best hydrogen powered Lego model.
- #BRAZILA collaboration agreement to develop a pilot project to produce green energy in Puerto de Suape.
- #UNITED STATESTo obtain low-cost, large-scale clean hydrogen, AVANGRID is proposing projects in a number of states.
- #SPAINThe solution will consist of the largest electrolytic hydrogen production systems in the world (20 MW).
As part of its investment plan between now and 2030 amounting to €150bn, green hydrogen will be a major vector for growth. Iberdrola is already developing several projects that will enable the decarbonisation of industry and heavy transport in Spain and the UK as well as developing its value chain. The company has also submitted 54 projects to the EU's Next Generation programme, which would trigger investments of €2.5bn to reach green hydrogen production of 60,000 tonnes/year. The group hopes to produce 85,000 tonnes annually by 2030.