Iberdrola, the most innovative Spanish utility and the fourth in Europe
INNOVATION IS IBERDROLA'S MAIN TOOL TO GUARANTEE ITS SUSTAINABILITY, EFFICIENCY AND COMPETITIVENESS
Iberdrola believes innovation is a strategic variable which affects all Group businesses and all of their activities.
R&D&i efforts comprise three main components:
- Efficiency: continuously optimising operations, managing the life of facilities and equipment, bringing down operating and maintenance costs and reducing the environmental impact.
- New products and services to meet customer needs through digitalisation, automation and tailored solutions.
- Disruptive technologies and business models to tackle future energy challenges. Through Iberdrola Ventures Perseo, the company's corporate venture capital initiative, investments are being made in this field to ensure the sustainability of the energy model.
MAIN R&D&I PROJECTS
As a result of a unwavering commitment to innovation, Iberdrola is currently the most innovative utility in Spain and fourth in Europe according to the European Commission's ranking.
In 2015, Iberdrola invested 18% more in R&D&I activities that the previous year, totalling €200 million. Over the past seven years this figure has increased by 120.9%, proving the company's commitment to this field.
Financial resources are mainly allocated to projects related to smart grids, clean generation, offshore wind power and new technologies and business models.
COLLABORATION WITH SUPPLIERS
The company also implements other programmes to further R&D&i through partnerships with its partners, for example, the Innovation with suppliers programme, which pursues the following main objectives:
- Simplifying access to financing mechanisms.
- Encouraging the joint creation of companies (supplier spinoffs).
- Promote innovative buying for SMEs.