R&D&I GENERATION AND RETAIL
Clean technologies, sustainable mobility and digital, tailored products
- The CO2 FORMARE project reaffirms Iberdrola's firm commitment to reducing the environmental impact of its generation plants
- The company works continuously on developing new products and services that are tailored to customer needs
During 2015, in the Generation Area, R&D&I efforts focused on flexibility and operational efficiency, respect for the environment, and improving the safety of installations.
- Flexibility and operational efficiency and facility safety: there have been important advances in FILTRACIONES project, developing a new methodology for efficient inspections on water channels. Regarding the facility safety, there are developments on experimental prototypes successfully validated of INSROCA, SIROE y ECRIGEN projects, for its industrial application to guarantee the structural integrity of generation assets and to maximize its life cycle.
- In the area of nuclear generation, the prominent projects are MIGRES and RESONUC. The first one is developing a new process of integrated management and control rod channels, which will allow a sustainable management of them. RESONUC project is monitoring and characterizing resonances in critical systems, in order to guarantee its optimal functionality as a significant element in the safety and reliability of nuclear power plants.
- Environment: Iberdrola continues its commitment to reduce the environmental impact in generation plants, promoting the ambitious project called CO2 FORMARE. The objective is to give a sustainable solution to the macrofouling problem which exists in cooling systems of power plants and reduce the environmental impact not only in air emissions but also in the aquatic environment. During 2015, technical expertise generated in COEBEN-II, implemented at the Velilla del Rio Carrion are being incorporated in our facilities to increasingly stringent environmental requirements, offering an alternative to high-cost commercial solutions. This is not an isolated project, because the technical expertise has been transferred to Longannet and Lada thermal power plants.
Innovation is essential in the retail area, to provide customers with products and services that best suit their needs. Iberdrola continues working in the development of new products and services like:
- Energy supply 100% online Conect@. A new customers App was launched. This App facilitates the management of energy and becomes an online channel of contact and information for our customers.
- Protección Eléctrica Hogar, which offers tranquility and savings in a service: assistance for breakdowns in electrical installation and appliances.
In addition, Iberdrola continues working on its commitment to electric mobility along the same line with its strategy for sustainable development and its commitment to innovation, developing new recharge services and participating in European R&D&I projects in the 7th Framework Programme. Example of this, are Green Motion, ICT4, both completed during 2015. In the first one, it has been created a unique and user-friendly framework for electric mobility in the EU, trying to find the best conditions which allow the electric vehicles introduction in the market. For the second one, it has been implemented an innovative set of infrastructures and ICT services for electric vehicles, with pilots proofs, two of them in Pamplona and Vitoria.
Also, mention the participation in the European innovation project GRID4EU on smart grids, which provide customers real-time information of their electricity consumption and flexible rates slots in order to manage efficiently their consumption.