Iberdrola, the utility of the future
The group has undergone a major transformation over the last 15 years, staying clearly ahead of the energy transition in order to tackle the challenges posed by climate change and the need for clean electricity.
AN INTERNATIONAL ENERGY LEADER
With a history of over 170 years, today we are an international leader committed to low-emission energies: it produces and supplies electricity to almost 100 million people in the countries in which it operates.
Likewise, we stand as the largest renewable energy producer among the European utilities, global leader in terms of installed onshore wind power and the cleanest electricity in the United States, with nearly zero emissions.
As a result of our commitment to the environment and pledge to the decarbonisation of the economy, we have managed to reduce our emissions in Europe by 75% since 2000, reaching levels that are 70% below the average figures of the European companies in the sector.
We concentrate our presence in the following countries and geographical areas, in which we are the leading energy utility and a benchmark, thanks to our sustainable energy model:
Iberdrola, an international energy leader.
View more content
Iberdrola is today an international energy leader with presence in the following countries and geographical areas:
- In the Eurozone, the company is present in Spain, Portugal, France and Germany, after consolidating its position as the leading wind energy producer. After reducing its emissions by 75% in Europe since 2000, on average, the emissions of the Iberdrola Group are currently 70% less than those of its competitors. The company operates through Iberdrola España, a subholding company, and its parent companies of the Renewables, Electricity distribution and Generation businesses.
- In the United Kingdom, the company is present through ScottishPower, a subholding company, and its parent companies of the Renewables, Networks and Generation businesses. Iberdrola is the largest wind energy producer and leading distribution and transmission network company in Scotland, Wales and England.
- In the US, the company is present through Avangrid, a subholding company listed in the stock exchange — in which Iberdrola, S.A. holds an 81.5% stake — and its parent companies of the Renewables and Networks businesses. Iberdrola is the third largest wind power producer, distributing gas and electricity in the states of New York, Maine, Connecticut and Massachusetts through eight regulated companies.
- In Mexico, the company is present through Iberdrola Mexico, a subholding company, and its parent companies of the Renewables and Generation businesses. Iberdrola is the largest private electricity producer of the Mexican market.
- In Brazil, Iberdrola has managed to be present through Neoenergia, a subholding company — in which Iberdrola, S.A. holds an 52.45% stake —, the leading energy company in Latin America.
OUR STRATEGIC PILLARS
Current trends in the energy sector — decarbonisation and electrification of the economy, technological progress and increased customer connectivity — reinforce the focus of our three global businesses: networks, renewables and wholesale and retail, and they are all focused on the customer.
The Iberdrola group accelerates the creation of value through five strategic pillars: profitable growth, operational excellence, customer focus, capital optimization and, finally, digitisation and innovation.
Currently, we are approaching a stage of growth with a strong investment cycle between 2018 and 2022 of € 32,000 million among our main growth axes — networks, renewables, contracted and commercial generation —.
Iberdrola's business strategy.
THE UTILITY OF THE FUTURE
LAYING THE FOUNDATIONS FOR GROWTH OVER THE NEXT DECADE
The Iberdrola group will invest 32,000 million euros during 2018-2022, laying the foundations for sustainable growth over the next decade. The company accelerates the creation of value with five strategic pillars:
- Profitable growth.
- Operational excellence.
- The customer as the centrepiece of the strategy.
- Capital optimisation.
- Digitisation and innovation.
AND MAIN FLAGSHIP PROJECTS
Our activities are organised around four global businesses:
- Networks: adapting the network to cater to consumer needs.
- Renewables: wind/solar power, tailored to customer needs.
- Contracted generation: making the most of the opportunities of the energy reform.
- Retail: developing solutions adapted to the customer's needs.
Likewise, the company is rolling out different flagship projects, which are authentic milestones for the group because of their importance, scope and commitment to innovation.
Iberdrola's business plan and business model are aimed at creating sustainable value for the societies in which the company is present. Therefore, the Iberdrola group offers a growing, inclusive and sustainable dividend, which is fully in line with the UN's Sustainable Development Goals.
SOME OF THE VALUES
THAT GUIDE OUR ACTIONS
Iberdrola identifies and respects the needs of each country in which it operates. The new experiences of each market have reinforced the culture and values of our brand:
- In Spain, through Iberdrola.
- In United Kingdom, through ScottishPower.
- In US, through Avangrid*.
- In Mexico, through Iberdrola México.
- In Brazil, through Neoenergia**.
*Avangrid, Inc. is 81.50% owned by Iberdrola, S.A.
**Neoenergia Inc. is 52.45% owned by Iberdrola, S.A.
Hard work, talent, commitment and enthusiasm have always been the life force driving Iberdrola's history, a group that is now firmly established on both sides of the Atlantic.
With over 170 years of existence, the hallmark of the Group is its steady growth and its forward vision to prepare for society's future energy needs.