STAR Project: a global benchmark in smart grids investments
As a result of the STAR Project (Remote Network Management and Automation System), with an investment of €2 billion, 10.7 million digital meters have been installed and provide remote management and automation capabilities to 90,000 transformation centres.
installed in Spain
90.000 transformer substations
2,000 million euros
The Iberdrola group, through its subsidiary in Spain, has completed the process of digitising its distribution network in the country with the installation of 10.7 million digital meters and their supporting infrastructure, as well as the adaptation of around 90,000 transformation centres, to which remote management, supervision and automation capabilities have been added. This digitisation process has meant an investment of €2 billion.
This transformation to an intelligent infrastructure in the networks means we are moving forward in our strategy of energy transition. We are contributing to the decarbonisation of the economy, improving the efficiency of the network, optimising demand management and promoting the integration of more renewable energies and electric mobility.
This means we are also responding to new trends in relations with our customers, who are demanding more personalised products and services and a more active management regarding how energy is consumed.
Today, apart from being pioneer in the deployment of smart grids and a world leader in excellence and technological innovation, we are an international benchmark in this field.
Antonio Espinosa, CEO of Iberdrola Distribución Eléctrica
This is just getting started and we have an exciting future ahead of us
ONE OF THE MOST ADVANCED SMART GRIDS IN THE WORLD
Iberdrola's networks subsidiaries in the United States and Brazil and retail subsidiary in the United Kingdom have also installed smart meters, configuring one of the most advanced smart grids in the world:
- In the United States, 1,000,000 smart meters have been installed in Maine, Connecticut and Ithaca.
- In Brazil, over 220,000 smart meters have been installed in the states of Grande do Norte River, Bahia and Pernambuco.
- In the United Kingdom, Iberdrola's commercial subsidiary has installed more than 1,080,000 smart meters with the Smart Meters project.
- Iberdrola completes the digitisation of its distribution networks for the intelligent use of electricity
- Iberdrola inspects over 32,000 km of power lines in Spain to boost supply security