STAR Project: a global benchmark in smart grids investments
Iberdrola has deployed over 10.5 million smart meters in Spain, which has improved grid operations and the quality of supply we provide to our customers. This project will entail an overall investment that exceeds €2,000 million.
STAR Project: main project data.
The STAR Project (Remote Network Management and Automation System) has deployed over 10.5 million smart meters in Spain. This initiative has allowed 95% of the meters installed to be upgraded with a contracted power of less than or equal to 15 kilowatts through its Electricity Distribution subsidiary. Likewise, Iberdrola has already adapted about 67,000 transformer substations throughout Spain, by incorporating remote management, monitoring and automation systems.
The company has transformed our traditional analog network, digitized it, automated and created a network for the new era which has meant a transformation of our company, our network and our culture. Today, apart from being pioneer in the deployment of smart grids and a world leader in excellence and technological innovation, we are an international benchmark in this field.
Undoubtedly, this initiative has allowed the improvement in the operation of the grid and the supply quality offered to our customers with different levels of digitisation deployed in our transformer substations and in spontaneous events sent by our smart meters.
STAR is contributing to the transformation of the Network Business, benefitting from the opportunities of new technological developments. It is expected to be completed by 2018, with a global investment of over 2,000 million euros, and is being key to progress in the company's digital strategy in other countries, such as, for example, the Smart Meters Project in the United Kingdom, after capitalising on the experience gained in Spain.
One of the most advanced smart grids in the world
Iberdrola's networks subsidiaries in the United States and Brazil and retail subsidiary in the United Kingdom have also installed smart meters, configuring one of the most advanced smart grids in the world:
- In the United States, 1,000,000 smart meters have been installed in Maine, Connecticut and Ithaca.
- In Brazil, over 220,000 smart meters have been installed in the states of Grande do Norte River, Bahia and Pernambuco.
- In the United Kingdom, Iberdrola's commercial subsidiary has installed around 1,000,000 smart meters with the Smart Meters project.
- Iberdrola has installed over 10 million smart meters in Spain
- Iberdrola inspects over 32,000 km of power lines in Spain to boost supply security
- Iberdrola invested nearly 540 million euros in the automation, development and improvement of its electricity grid in Spain in 2016
- Iberdrola has already installed 90% of the smart meters in Spain
- Iberdrola surpasses nine million smart meters installed in Spain