LINES OF BUSINESS
The customer, at the heart of our businesses
Current trends in the energy sector — decarbonisation and electrification of the economy, technological progress and increased customer connectivity — reinforce the focus of our three global businesses: networks, wholesale and retail and renewables, and they are all focused on the customer.
The networks area is responsible for building, operating and maintaining electricity lines, substations, transformation centres and other infrastructures to transfer electrical power from the production centres to the end user. Among its main objectives are:
- Zero accidents.
- Offering an excellent service to our costumers, based on supply quality and providing information about the grid.
- Maximising efficiency during the operation of the system through operational excellence and the digitisation of our assets.
- Leading the transformation towards more efficient integration of renewable and distributed energy.
- Electric vehicle integration.
- 100% smart grids by 2030.
The generation and retail area focusses on the production of electricity through building, operating and maintaining generation centres, and the purchase and sale of power on wholesale markets. It is likewise responsible for supplying the end user with power and additional services and products. Among its main objectives are:
- Competitive supply and excellence in customer service.
- Occupational health and safety.
- Environmental management and protection of biodiversity.
- Operational excellence and ongoing efficiency improvements.
- Risk identification and minimisation.
- Development of opportunities for growth and for new energy solutions.
- Growth in direct sales to private companies (10TWh by 2017).
- Energy and smart mobility.
- Smart Solar.
The renewable energy area is responsible for generating and marketing electrical power using renewable sources: wind (onshore and offshore), mini-hydro, solar thermal, photovoltaic, biomass, etc. Nowadays, Iberdrola is a leader in clean energy — it is the top renewable energy producer amongst energy providers in Europe and the US —. Among its main objectives are:
- Safety during operations.
- Efficiency in operations for maximising the profitability of assets.
- Efficiency in construction costs with special emphasis on offshore wind energy projects.
- Profitable growth in different technologies in strategic companies for the group and in new countries of interest.
- New long-term energy sales contracts on a global scale.
- New markets.
- Services to industrial customers.